These rules make sure materials are equally available to all students. Library staff are pleased to explain these policies and help you find the materials you need. Ask us, or call 755-6872.
- All Hartnell students, faculty, and staff wishing to check out materials or use the library’s computers must have a current Hartnell College CatCard (photo ID may be used if CatCard service is unavailable).
- Students, faculty, and staff wishing to check out library materials may present their CatCard at the Circulation Services Desk, or use one of the self-check stations located on each floor of the library.
- All computer users will use their Hartnell credentials to log in to computers in the library. The staff will not look up card numbers. Any Library users with fines or fees of $5.00 or more will be denied access to the library’s computers until such fines/fees are paid.
- Library users may not use another user’s card to check out materials or log in to the library’s computers. Doing so will result in the loss of library privileges for the remainder of that semester.
- All users are responsible for the use of their cards, and must report lost or stolen cards to the Hartnell Library as soon as possible.
- Circulating books are checked out to students for two weeks. These books can be renewed twice unless a "hold" has been placed on them. Books can be renewed in person in the library, online, or by calling (831) 755-6872 during open hours.
- Overdue books must be renewed or returned to avoid a a block being placed on the borrowing student’s Hartnell College records (no grades or enrollment), and a suspension of the student’s library privileges (checking out materials).
- All lost materials must be paid for before an existing block on a student’s account can be lifted.
- There is a 6 item (total) limit of items that can be checked out to a student’s account.
- Reserve books and materials are limited to library use only.
- There is a daily fee for overdue Reserve materials.
- Magazines and newspapers are for library use only.
- Students may check out Media materials (such as cables) at the Computer and Media Services desk for library use only.
- Students may checkout a laptop at the Computer and Media Services desk for library use only with a signed Laptop Loan Agreement on file. This agreement needs to be renewed each semester.
Course Reserve Materials: Late return: $5.00/day. Maximum fine $50.00
Lost/Damaged Materials: Replacement cost or damages (plus $5.00 processing fee)